Community e-Newsletter

Summer-Fall 2011   VOLUME 1 ISSUE 5  
TOPICS
Community Health
Research
Calendar of Events
Community Resources
CONTENTS
Preventing Blindness from Diabetes
Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board
Pertussis Vaccination Now Required
Ovarian Cancer
Frank Staggers, Sr, MD Receives CMAF Award
Author of the EHI eNewsletter
Upcoming Events
Asthma Resources
Cancer Resources
Cardiovascular Disease Resources
Diabetes Resources
Ethnic Health Institute Website
Alta Bates Summit Website
Preventing Blindness from Diabetes
Diabetic Retinopathy Screening
by Jorge Cuadros, OD, PhD and Brittany Harris

Eye examinations are important




Diabetic retinopathy is damage to the eye’s retina that is caused as a complication of diabetes. Patients suffering from diabetic retinopathy may not notice initial changes in vision. Therefore, patients with diabetes are encouraged to get a comprehensive dilated eye exam at least once a year.

[FULL STORY]
 
Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board
Reducing the Number of Uninsured in California
by Ernesto Sanchez and Brittany Harris


The Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board (MRMIB) was created in 1990 to develop strategies for reducing the number of uninsured persons in the state of California. The Board originally started by serving people who were medically uninsurable and had been denied insurance coverage in the commercial insurance marketplace.


[FULL STORY]
 
Pertussis Vaccination Now Required
New California Law Requires Vaccination Against Whooping Cough for 7th-12th Graders to Enter School
by Michael A. LeNoir, MD and Brittany Harris

Boy with whooping cough.(Photo courtesy of NIH) Michael LeNoir, MD New school vaccination requirement states that beginning July 1, 2011, all 7th-12th grade students will need to show proof of a pertussis (Tdap) vaccination (given after the 7th birthday) to begin the 2011-2012 school year. EHI sat down with Oakland pediatrician Dr. Mike Lenoir to learn more about these vaccines.


Everyone in the family should be vaccinated

[FULL STORY]
 
Ovarian Cancer
The Most Lethal of All Women Cancers
by John Chan, MD and Brittany Harris

Each year, approximately 23,000 women in the United States are diagnosed with ovarian cancer. While it is the second most common gynecologic cancer, ovarian cancer is the most lethal of all cancers that only effect women. It typically presents with advanced stage disease and diagnosis is challenging, as the ovaries are internal organs and patients have nonspecific symptoms. Although 10% of ovarian cancer is hereditary, the cause of the remaining 90% is unknown.


Any woman can develop Ovarian Cancer (Photo from www.cdc.gov)

[FULL STORY]
 
Frank Staggers, Sr, MD Receives CMAF Award
Retired Physician Receives Service Award

Frank Staggers, Sr, MD

[FULL STORY]
 
Author of the EHI eNewsletter
Brittany Harris, MBA Candidate

Brittany Harris

The author, Brittany Harris, is a former Ethnic Health Institute intern and 2008 graduate of Brown University with a Bachelor of Arts in Community Health. After graduation from Brown, Harris worked for a boutique consulting firm in New York for 2 years prior to pursuing an MBA at Harvard Business School (HBS) where she is currently in her final year. Upon graduation from HBS, Harris hopes to return to the Bay Area and work in a marketing or strategy role in a consumer goods company.


 
SUBSCRIBE

Enter your email address in the box below to receive an email each time we post a new issue of our newsletter:


Add Remove
Send as HTML
 

ARCHIVE
Fall-Winter 2010
February 28, 2011
Vol. 1 Issue 4
Spring-Summer 2010
September 8, 2010
Vol. 1 Issue 3
Fall-Winter 2009
December 29, 2009
Vol. 1 Issue 2
Spring-Summer 2009
June 12, 2009
Vol. 1 Issue 1
Published by EHI Executive Committee and Staff.
Copyright © 2011 EHI. All rights reserved.
TELL A FRIEND